Tutorial Tuesday – Tub Dyeing!

Not to be confused with tie dyeing.  Blecht.  What am I, a hippie?  No, I’m not.  You guys know me better than that.

OK.  So remember a little while ago when I talked about buying new slipcovers for our couch?  Come on guys.  You really need to start thinking about taking some ginkgo biloba.  Here it is.  Well, after calculating the shipping, I decided to try something else first.  Something that might be considered a little (or straight-up) crazy.  I decided to dye some.  Why?  Because the white slipcovers at Ikea are $40.  FORTY DOLLARS!  [Update – not anymore I guess.]  I mean, really.  How hard can it be to dye them.  When Ryan mentioned it in passing to the girl at Ikea when he bought the slipcovers, she said (very snottily) “Good luck with that…”  Thanks!

The problem – every single tutorial that dyed something this large was performed in a washing machine.  Because the world is one big kick in the balls, I don’t have a washing machine.  Well, we do have two communal washing machines in the Queen AnnE, but they are the ghettoist of the ghetto.  There is no way to determine where you are in the washing cycle.  You basically put in your $1M worth of quarters (seriously – $2.25 to wash and dry a load of laundry???) and hit start.  Okay, you can choose the water temperature, but that’s it.  So trying to attempt dyeing in there was wasn’t an option because everything is timed.

Enter the bathtub.  I know lots of people have dyed things in a bathtub or a bucket or something similar, but no one was brave (stupid) enough to consider dying two giant slipcovers.  Well, until Ryan and I came around.  You’re welcome, WORLD!

Let me start out by saying that if you do attempt this, visit Dharma Trading Co.  NOT the Dharma Initiative.  (I miss you so much Lost!)  Why didn’t I just grab some bottles of RIT dye from Jo-Anns?  Because I thought that I should buy some big girl dye instead of the stuff Grateful Dead groupies use to make their ridiculous costumes.  I wasn’t monkeying around!  And I’m really glad because Dharma Trading Co. has step-by-step instructions on how to dye and the additional products needed to make the end result as perfect as possible.

Also, give yourself a good window of time.  We mistakenly thought that we’d be done (well, minus the drying time) in 4 hours.  We weren’t.  We also couldn’t use our shower until the process was over which also set us back.  And we were supposed to be somewhere at 12:30.  Good times…

There is also quite a bit of calculating that needs to be done when you are going to attempt something like this.  You need to figure out the weight of the fabric, the amounts of water, salt, dye, ash, and other “ingredients.”  Initially we thought that we were going to have to do the job in two loads, but after finishing all the calculations, we decided to do them all at once.  We hoped that would minimize the problem of trying to match the dye proportions perfectly.

Here’s how it went down:

First, we washed the slipcovers.  This we COULD do in the washing machine, so we did.

Second, because I’m BRILLIANT, I decided to save the bathtub by buying a $2 shower curtain and duct taped it inside the tub.  I mean, dye was going to be sitting in there for over an hour.  Getting it out of the porcelain is a potential nightmare.  No thanks!

shower curtain liner

(Side note – don’t you love my little decals!  They remind of the ones we had in our bathtub growing up.)

Next, we filled the tub (we determined how much water we needed beforehand obviously), made a slush out of the dye, and poured it into the water-filled tub.

Dye mix

Pour in dye

Stirring Dye

Then we added the wet slipcover.  And the stirring began…  At first I was all “should I just use a wooden spoon?”  AAAHAHAHAHAHAAA!  I can laugh now because that is a ridiculous suggestion.  The fabric is HEAVY and a wooden spoon would have snapped in half at about the 10 second mark.  Ryan dug around in a little room the Queen AnnE uses as a bike room and found a discarded oar.  Right?  An oar.  Oh Queen AnnE…you’re such an enigma.  In light of that, if you are going to attempt this, get something sturdy like a 2×4 (or an oar) to mix it.

Getting darker

After about 15 minutes, we added the ash which we had already mixed with some water.  We pushed all the fabric off to the side so that we could stir the ash in without letting it directly touch the fabric (seriously – don’t forget to read the directions at Dharma Trading Co.)  To make this easier, I decided to put gloves on and just hold all the fabric over to the side with my hands.

Oompa Loompa hand

I guess the gloves weren’t long enough.  After a day, it’s faded a bit, but I still look a little Oompa Loompa-ish in and around my hands.

After we added the ash, we stirred for another 45 minutes.  Oh, and let me say that we didn’t just stir it around with the oar.  Every 10 minutes or so, I would pull out each piece of the slipcover to untangle it and then set it back.  I was very worried that it would get so bunched up that the fabric wouldn’t get covered evenly.  And there was a LOT of fabric in the tub.  It didn’t help that there were those sections of the slipcover that were made of something other than cotton and therefore didn’t color.  They didn’t need to be dyed as they are on the inside of the couch, but it still made me nervous.

And darker

OK.  This is where, in my opinion, we made a mistake.  Because we were unfamiliar with this kind of dye, we thought we should keep it in the dye bath even after we reached our desired color.  We were afraid that a lot of the dye would wash out and then it would be much lighter than what we wanted.  What we didn’t count on is the fact that this dye is awesome.  (I swear I’m not getting paid to write this).  Ryan thinks it did a tiny bit, but I don’t think it rinsed out at all.

Rinse

That brings us to the rinsing.  Ryan rinsed this thing to death.  He rinsed it several times in the tub.  Like five times.  He even filled the tub up with water, squeezed each piece of the slipcovers out and then drained the tub.  Then we ran it through the washing machine three times.  Dun rinsed.

While the label on the slipcover says you can machine wash it, it says not to dry it.  I was bummed because we have no place to air dry something of this magnitude.  We just draped the pieces all over the place.

Here’s the before and after:

before and after

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that you might be hungry for some Cheetos.  Right?  I know.  It’s O-R-A-N-G-E.  I’m not crazy about it.  But isn’t the before  picture a big snoozefest?  Could you even see the couch?  It blends in with the carpet and walls so well.  And the dye job itself is fabulous.  There are no streaks – everything is totally even.  That being said, I think we’re going to give it another go in a different color.  And even though I’m not over the moon with the color (which Ryan loves by the way), I’m totally obsessed with this dye.  I mean, it was actually a lot simpler than I thought it was going to be.  Especially since the end result was so great (minus the crazy brightness).

So, if you are a sad soul like me without a washing machine, don’t let that stop you from dyeing large things.  It may seem daunting, but it’s totally do-able.

*UPDATE* – Since this has now gone “live” on Ikea Hacker, I just want to state that I have grown to love my little Tangerine Dream and wouldn’t dream of getting rid of her.  She’s like a ray of sunshine amidst the cloudy haze of daily life (I should be a poet, you guys).  Orange sunshine is a thing somewhere, right?

*DOUBLE UPDATE* – Since this post is BLOWING UP, I thought everyone might like to see the brilliancy (is that a word?) we accomplished after the dyeing was done – we tufted the pillows!

orange couch

Pin It
This entry was posted in DIY Projects, Tutorials and tagged . Bookmark the permalink. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.

91 Comments

1. C. Welbourne
    Posted April 9, 2013 at 4:05 PM | Permalink

did you go from brown to orange??? I’ve used the procion dyes from Dharma many times on yardage both in the washing machine and in large pots but never tried the bath tub! Glad it worked for you. I agree they are great dyes. I just didn’t think you could achieve orange when starting with brown. Maybe I missed something ?

Posted April 9, 2013 at 4:40 PM | Permalink

Sorry about that – I guess that might be confusing. We went from new white slipcovers from Ikea to orange. We still have the brown ones.

2. Posted April 9, 2013 at 4:13 PM | Permalink

Wow! This turned out amazingly. So clever lining the bathtub with a cheap shower curtain too. oh, and if you can’t find the Queen AnnE’s communal oar when you re-dye it here’s an easy tutorial from our favorite Nick Offerman on how to make one. http://www.marthastewart.com/307445/canoe-paddle-how

Nikki Kelly

Posted April 9, 2013 at 4:40 PM | Permalink

OMG. You’re BRILLIANT!!!

3. Posted April 9, 2013 at 5:26 PM | Permalink

The orange looks wonderful! (in the photo)–bright and cheerful.
    Will you just overdye it? You could tone it down by adding a bit of brown if you wished.
    You took tub dyeing to a new level!

Posted April 9, 2013 at 6:48 PM | Permalink

Thanks! I’m not sure what I’m going to do at this point. I was thinking I might change gears completely and try a new color with another white slipcover. But I’m getting so much positive feedback on the orange that I’m doubting my second choice. LOL.

4. Kathy
    Posted April 9, 2013 at 5:57 PM | Permalink

Nice video. Reminded me of my father’s boat building and hand tools, especially the planes.

5. Posted April 9, 2013 at 6:12 PM | Permalink

Just for future reference, the only thing that will dye in your tub would be the stickies. Porcelain won’t hold the color : ) I used to use my tub all the time until I got some really big pots and was able to stand. Good job though and VERY amusing write-up!

Posted April 9, 2013 at 6:51 PM | Permalink

Thanks! And I’m glad I saved my stickies at least! I would have been a little bummed about losing them. Plus I would have probably slipped and cracked my skull without them. I use a lot of creamy conditioner…

6. Kathy Scoggins
    Posted April 9, 2013 at 7:08 PM | Permalink

Actually, if the glazed finish has worn off any on the porcelain tub, the dye will get in to it and it’s really the pits to get it out. Your idea of lining it with a shower curtain was excellent as was using an oar. I have used large commercial dye vats and that is what we use to stir the fabric. I also love the orange in your space and normally I don’t like orange at all! Good job!

Posted April 9, 2013 at 7:28 PM | Permalink

Thanks! I’m so glad the shower curtain liner was my idea. I’d have to give those props to my husband. I mean, he found the oar. He can’t have BOTH of the brilliant ideas.

7. ruby
    Posted April 9, 2013 at 8:29 PM | Permalink

Honestly, that orange is absolutely beautiful! Really!

Posted April 9, 2013 at 8:57 PM | Permalink

You guys are all making me change my mind! My husband will be so happy. LOL.

8. Posted April 17, 2013 at 4:45 PM | Permalink

This is fantastic! I bought some hella expensive covers for our Ikea sofa from Bemz and am NOT impressed. I followed the washing instructions to a T and they still shrunk enough that they tore slightly when being put back on. Extremely frustrating. So now we are planning to do buy a cheapie from Ikea (which wash and wear quite well) and dye it. I’m curious, did you prewash the cover on hot like the instructions say? Did you experience any shrinkage?

Posted April 17, 2013 at 9:18 PM | Permalink

Oh man, that totally sucks! We did wash them on hot before we started the dyeing, but we washed them in cold when we rinsed all the dye out. It was a SNUG fit when we put them on, but no rips. I read online that some people put them on the couch while they’re still a little damp which helps I guess. That was my plan, but they still weren’t near dry when we went to bed. Which meant they were as dry as a bone when we got up in the morning. Blerg.

9. Nicky
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 5:02 PM | Permalink

This is an awesome guide! I just bought an Ikea couch in November, but was too poor for the $200 slipcover I really liked to go along with it. Sad, I know. So I have the white one and it shows every spec or dirt along with my cats’ hair. Awesome.

After reading this, I’m excited to dye it! I do have a question. Which type of dye on Dharma did you buy? Thanks!

Posted May 23, 2013 at 5:46 PM | Permalink

Yesssssss!!! Do it! And I know what you mean. When faced with the choice of white for $40 or something else for $200, those white slipcovers are pretty hard to turn your nose up at. LOL. I used the Dharma fiber reactive dye. It was perfection.

If you end up giving it a shot, please send pix! :)

10. Heather
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 3:29 PM | Permalink

This tutorial is a great help to go along with the Dharma instructions I’ve been reading – thanks! I’m going to try to dye my sofa slipcover with the fiber reactive dye. Question — It looks like you initially put your shower curtain liner over the drain. How did you let the dye water drain from the tub without staining your stickies? Did you just carefully only peel back the shower curtain so far in order to drain?

Posted June 26, 2013 at 4:52 PM | Permalink

Thanks! We did exactly that – the careful peel back on the drain side. :)

11. Heather
    Posted July 11, 2013 at 10:39 AM | Permalink

Hi – one more question if you have a second – I’m curious – after you dyed the slipcover, and then did the final wash in the washing machine – what temperature of water did you use for the final wash? –Dharma instructions say hot – I’m pretty sure my slipcover will not take hot water without shrinking too much — just wondering if by chance you got the results shown here using a lower-than-hot final washing temperature.)
    Thanks! :)

12. Heather
    Posted July 11, 2013 at 10:46 AM | Permalink

Oops, I just saw your comment above which answered this question!

Posted July 11, 2013 at 10:59 AM | Permalink

No worries! I’m just glad you got the answer. :)

13. Liz
    Posted July 14, 2013 at 1:05 PM | Permalink

I’m looking into dying a chair slipcover black, but it looks like I will spend almost as much money on dye and salt (and shipping charges) that it wont’ save that much money. Dharma says you need 4 times the amount of dye and 2 times the salt. The slip cover is 5.5 lbs so I’m calculating 22 T dye (1 cup 6 T) which according to the website would require 12 oz. of dye. So I need to purchase the 1 lb dye for $34.75. Salt for 5.5 lbs of fabric shows 33 cups, or 16.5 lbs of salt. So I need to purchase the 25 lb package of salt at $19. Then when you add in the Soda Ash and shipping, which will be high based on the salt, I’m up over $100. Does that sound right? Am I missing something. I know the cost is much more because of the black, but I didn’t think it would be that much.

Am I missing something or calculating wrong? Thanks for your help, and I really appreciated your tutorial.

Posted July 14, 2013 at 3:19 PM | Permalink

That is pretty expensive, but I think your calculations are right. It’s just more because of it being black. We actually saved some money by buying the salt here in town instead of online. Smart and Final (I’m not sure if you have one near you) sells 1lb boxes of kosher salt. That saved us a lot in shipping as well.

14. Liz
    Posted July 14, 2013 at 3:51 PM | Permalink

I’ll check it out. Thanks for the quick response.

15. Jennyran
    Posted July 30, 2013 at 8:57 AM | Permalink

Swear to God I SNORTED reading this!! Go team Orange! Where did you get that infinity symbol-looking cat scratcher (??) that is on the floor in the foreground of your before pic? My Minou is a little posh…

Posted July 30, 2013 at 10:01 AM | Permalink

Right?! I feel like updating this post to say that I now love my Tangerine Dream. The infinity looking cat scratcher is ONE of the ridiculous pampered modern cat “things” I own. I swear these cats have more and better “accoutrements” than we do. But it’s called the PetFusion Cat Scratcher Lounge (lounge – I think that’s where they got me) and you can get it on Amazon. Oh, and if you’re interested, I’ve got another hack on here for cat wall shelves. I’m telling you, our cats pretty much run our life.

16. Amanda Schulz
    Posted August 1, 2013 at 6:39 AM | Permalink

Thanks for posting this! I too didnt want to pony up the extra $200 clams for the grey slipcover and after reading this I’m convinced my dye job will look legit. I’m a little fearful of the math and measurements. But the slipcover in white is so cheap perhaps I’ll buy 2 in case I royally foul up my first attempt. I have a washer, but I’m almost wondering if the tub method wouldnt be better?

Posted August 1, 2013 at 7:57 AM | Permalink

I’d totally go for it! And I’ve seen several tutorials on how to dye in the washer, so if the tub dyeing doesn’t work, you always have that as an alternative. Do it!!! :)

17. elsie
    Posted August 6, 2013 at 4:00 PM | Permalink

Which orange color did you use from Dharma? There are a number of them on their website. Wondering which yours is…. It seems a quite rich color result.

Posted August 6, 2013 at 4:50 PM | Permalink

We used PR5 – Soft Orange. :)

18. Amanda
    Posted August 7, 2013 at 12:54 PM | Permalink

Hi I was wondering what the total cost was?

Posted August 7, 2013 at 2:56 PM | Permalink

I couldn’t give you an exact number, but it was under $150 including the slipcovers themselves. The only thing we didn’t get from Dharma Trading was the salt. You needed so much that we ended up getting it locally so that we wouldn’t have to pay for the shipping.

19. Deb
    Posted August 21, 2013 at 9:04 PM | Permalink

Are the covers colorfast? If you were to sit on the sofa in–worst case–wet white shorts, do you think any of the dye would rub off? I’m buying a cheap Ikea Klippan sofa on Craigslist. What few replacement covers Ikea offers are ugly. Using your tutorial, I’m going to dye a new, white skipcover that, thankfully, is cheap. My only hesitation is whether the dye will stay put. Thanks for a great tutorial!

Posted August 21, 2013 at 9:22 PM | Permalink

It definitely stays put. Granted, I’ve never sat down in wet, white shorts (I couldn’t pull that look off), but I’ve never noticed anything like that. I think that’s where either the salt or ash come in – one of them sets the dye.

Let me know if you decide to go for it!

20. Alex
    Posted August 31, 2013 at 2:38 PM | Permalink

How much soda ash did you use? They only give you an estimate of how much you’ll need if you’re dying a large lot of t shirts!

21. Dee
    Posted September 12, 2013 at 2:18 AM | Permalink

Hi – did you put ALL of the slipcovers in at one time in the tub? Or did you do it piece by piece and keep them in the same amount of time. I’m guessing all at once, but I thought I would be sure! Thanks for the inspiration.

Posted September 12, 2013 at 5:57 AM | Permalink

We did them all at once. We were afraid that we might not get the ratio perfect for two separate batches and they’d turn out two shades.

I hope you give it a go!

22. Natalie
    Posted September 16, 2013 at 6:05 PM | Permalink

I love this idea! How much dye did you use, 1 pound?

Posted September 16, 2013 at 8:39 PM | Permalink

Thanks!! We only needed the 8 oz jar of the orange color. The amount differs with the color dye you choose though.

23. Nancy
    Posted September 18, 2013 at 5:59 PM | Permalink

Do you think the results would be as good if I try to dye a pale yellow slipcover? Or do I have to start with white?

Posted September 18, 2013 at 7:07 PM | Permalink

I think you should go for it. I can’t imagine light yellow being too hard to dye over.

24. Shay
    Posted October 2, 2013 at 5:08 PM | Permalink

Firstly, I know it’s a bit ago that you posted this but it’s totally awesome. Amazing tutorial and I love the couch. I have the Ikea ektorp couch about the same, slightly different. I want to tub dye it as well. I went to the site and didn’t know where to start. Can you just tell me what you needed for yours? 8 oz of dye for your color, but which type of dye. They have so much stuff on there. And salt I would get in the store. How did you know what to get?

So besides the 8 oz of ______ dye, what else?

Posted October 2, 2013 at 6:47 PM | Permalink

First off – THANKS! Now to the real business. We used their fiber reactive dye – soft orange. If you go here – http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/man/guides/tub-dye/dyes.html – it’ll walk you through the steps of what to buy. We got the dye (obvs), ash, calsolene oil, and Milsoft. We ended up buying kosher salt from the store because we needed so much and didn’t want to pay the shipping. We didn’t buy anything else they recommended (we bought our own rubber gloves & didn’t think we’d need masks).

Unfortunately, I don’t have all the calculations written down anymore, but Step 10 of the process is the instructions which give you the calculations – http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/man/guides/tub-dye/instructions.html.

I hope that helps!

25. Posted October 7, 2013 at 8:15 AM | Permalink

Were your Ikea slipcovers labeled “Dry clean only”? I really want to dye mine but this little label has given me pause…not sure if I should just ignore it.

Posted October 7, 2013 at 10:16 AM | Permalink

Mine did say I could wash it, just not dry it. I’m not going to tell you to ignore it (because that would probably be the wrong thing to do), but…I probably would. (Disclaimer: I am not an expert, so you might not want to listen to a word I say)

26. Posted October 7, 2013 at 3:20 PM | Permalink

:) thanks!

27. Jerry
    Posted November 7, 2013 at 2:02 PM | Permalink

You gave me such a big grin with this: “Not to be confused with tie dyeing. Blecht. What am I, a hippie? No, I’m not. You guys know me better than that.”. I too find that group of people disgusts me.

Posted November 7, 2013 at 3:26 PM | Permalink

Kindred spirits. LOL.

28. Caryn Briggs
    Posted November 9, 2013 at 7:56 PM | Permalink

The orange looks fab!
    So here’s my question… I have khaki colored slipcovers on a Pottery Barn couch and I thought down the road I could just buy new slipcovers… Turns out they will cost out $2k! What joke!!! I’m an idiot for spending that much on a couch in the first place. I want to dye them a dark grey but I’m afraid the dye will rub off on light colored clothing. Thoughts???
    The material feels more like a canvas rather than a smooth cotton, kind of like KEDS shoes.

Posted November 10, 2013 at 7:43 AM | Permalink

$2K??? Good grief! You could just buy an entirely new couch! Anyway, I don’t think the dye would rub off on light clothes once it’s set and dried. I’ve never had any problem with the orange. I’d read through the Dharma site, though. They may have something in their FAQs.

• Shay
        Posted November 11, 2013 at 3:10 PM | Permalink

So I dyed my Ektorp couch and chaise and dining room chairs. All ikea. Was an experience, wow. I couldn’t find dark gray that I wanted, theirs looked too blue on Dharma. So I decided to experiment. Silly me. I bought their lighter gray that I liked and added more than they said. So they are dark, not bad at all, but not gray. They are a dark gray blue, more blueish denim looking.

The dye DOES NOT rub off on clothing. Ever. Totally the wrong color, but that’s my fault. ;). I’m pretty satisfied though. At least it’s not white.

Posted November 11, 2013 at 5:57 PM | Permalink

I’m so glad you tried it! I’m sorry about the color, though. It’s a real kick in the pants that it ended up denimy blue anyway. What a pain. But hopefully it’ll grow on you like my orange grew on me.

29. Elizabeth
    Posted November 14, 2013 at 7:48 PM | Permalink

Caryn,

I have the same pottery barn slipcover and I am also hoping to dye it versus pay $$$ for a new one. If you decide to dye yours, please post pictures! What color are you aiming for? I assume you must go darker than the original color so I’m considering a deep blue or possibly gray. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

30. Leah
    Posted December 8, 2013 at 5:45 PM | Permalink

Your couch came out great!! You did the slipcover in the tub and the cushions in the washer. That is just my intention as well. My slipcover is 11.6 lbs (so I think we will elect to do it in the tub since they don’t recommend more than 8 lbs in a washer) and all the cushions will require 5 loads in the washer. We have a wrap-around couch so it is pretty much double the work!! My biggest concern is that the tub dyeing won’t end up matching the machine washer dying. How did you get around this? Did you follow their simple guidelines for an 8 lb machine load (as they have listed on their website)? And then did you do your tub calculations based on how much water you planned on using??

Posted December 8, 2013 at 6:13 PM | Permalink

Thanks!! We actually did everything in the tub. We can’t do anything in the washers in our apartment building. And we did it all in one load because I was afraid it would be a different shade if we did it in two. I’m not sure what to tell you since you have too much for the tub. I’d just do exactly what you planned and worry about darkening one up if necessary. Let me know how it goes!!

31. Posted December 18, 2013 at 11:05 AM | Permalink

Nice! The thing I’m most freaked out by is the possibility of dye rubbing off on lighter colored clothing. (I once lazily dyed my leather iPad case with Rit on a whim, and I liked the effect but it was far from colorfast.)

Either way, high five for going Thrifty Upgrade Viral! I love it! And I’m subscribing to your blog because I really want to hear more about the tufting process.

Posted December 18, 2013 at 11:12 AM | Permalink

A few other people have asked about the color rubbing off. I’ve never had a problem and have had to wet wipe cat-related filth off them at times. I’m not sure if it’s all the extra products I used in the dyeing process or what. Maybe the ash? I should know all of this because I read up on it, but…I had to make room for other facts. Much more useless facts, I’m sure.

32. Hannah
    Posted January 15, 2014 at 4:06 PM | Permalink

You’ve inspired me! I just placed my order with Dharma Trading for all the essential supplies.

Three questions:

1. For the Prewash did you use regular detergent?

2. Do you remember how much water you used? I have the standard kivik ikea sofa (no attached chaise) Did you calculate the gallons per pound of fabric?

3. Did you use detergent in the Post wash or is the post wash just a rinse?

Thanks so much! We will most def have your blog post up for reference when this adventure ensues! haha!

Posted January 15, 2014 at 5:49 PM | Permalink

Yay!!!! I’m so excited for you!! Now…your questions.

1) We bought the special detergent they sell (and recommend) on Dharma – Synthrapol.

2) I tossed our calculations, but I just asked Ryan & he said he thinks 40 gallons. But that was for the love seat and chaise. Regardless, we did measure it according to the weight of the fabric.

3) We washed the finished dyed cover in the same stuff – Synthrapol – and we used Milsoft which is basically a fabric softener.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

33. kp
    Posted January 16, 2014 at 7:38 PM | Permalink

Hi amanda,

I was actually planning on dyeing my sofa covers to grey.I see you wanted to dye them gray.were you able to dye.did you try tub or washing machine method?
    Pls let me know.also the quantity of dye and color code .
    Thanks.

34. Maddie
    Posted January 22, 2014 at 8:19 PM | Permalink

Hiya! Love this tutorial!!

I was actually wondering how you attached your loveseat arm to the end of your chaise lounge? I have the same set up and am looking for a tutorial, so any tricks much appreciated!

Love this little orange couch! :)

Posted January 22, 2014 at 9:21 PM | Permalink

I’m glad you asked that question because I just ASSumed it was a standard thing through Ikea, but Ryan said he had to rig it himself. Score 1 (again) for Ryan! LOL. ANYWAY, he said he bought two large deep-reach C clamps and clamped the arm and the end of the chaise together from underneath. But he also had to add some extra wood pieces (about 1 1/4″ thick) in between so that they lined up nicely when they’re clamped together. Otherwise, if you clamp just the arm and the chaise, it’s crooked.

Hope that helps!!

35. Cynthia
    Posted January 27, 2014 at 9:58 AM | Permalink

For starters, this was a blast to read! So glad I found this!

Soo, I recently bought a home and with my low budget I bought the exact same couch in your picture from a local Craigslister. With that being said, my couch is obviously not as clean as I would have liked and it came with more stains than I can handle and my stain removing skills aren’t the best. I considered just buying new covers, but they are just too darn pricey. Bleh.

I’m sure someone must have already asked, but what exactly did you purchase from the website? I found some stuff, but it’s telling me I need a butt load of other things.

Posted January 27, 2014 at 11:15 AM | Permalink

I’m just going to paste my response from above because I’m super, duper lazy today. :)

36. Posted January 30, 2014 at 12:48 PM | Permalink

FANTASTIC! Can’t wait to try this!!

37. Christina
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 8:03 AM | Permalink

This is amazing and I LOVE THE COLOR! Can’t wait to try this for my new couch! Really Excited! Also love that you tufted the pillows! BRILLIANT!

38. Margaret Chase
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 3:03 AM | Permalink

Aren’t I lucky, I live near Petaluma and I am going down there tomorrow to see for myself. I have a custom made white slipcover for my couch and I am tired of the look. I am a bit scared of doing this but love the results you got Lizzie, the orange is so bright and cheery. Thanks for the inspiration.:)

Posted March 6, 2014 at 6:34 AM | Permalink

I know what you mean – I was so scared too! I hope it goes well!!!

39. amelia
    Posted March 15, 2014 at 10:59 PM | Permalink

Weird question! How did you drain without staining the tub? I’m tackling this project soon and very scared since we are doing dark purple. Thanks!

Posted March 16, 2014 at 12:52 AM | Permalink

We cut a hole in the liner to funnel it into the drain, but then quickly realized orange dye water was going to be in the tub anyway because we had to rinse them. But nothing ended up getting stained. There were a few areas that seemed a little orange, but they came right out with bleach.

40. Nikki
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 8:05 AM | Permalink

How much dye do you think I need to dye a 10lb cotton slip cover? It’s from the IKEA Karlstad Loveseat. (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29840493/)
    I bought white because it was cheapest thinking I would be able to keep it clean. (Foolish, it’s a stain magnet!)

I’ve been googling tutorials for dyeing slipcovers all over the place, and yours was the easiest to comprehend. Plus, the bath idea seems safer to me than the washing machine ones.
    Any feedback you have would be appreciated :)

Posted April 8, 2014 at 9:41 AM | Permalink

I know. I’d love a pretty white couch. Within 10 minutes, I’d spill a cup of coffee on it. As far as the dye, I’m not sure. If you go to the Dharma website, it gives you all the calculations you need. It’s a wealth of info.

I hope you give it a go & love it as much as we love ours!!

41. Lindsey
    Posted July 5, 2014 at 12:10 PM | Permalink

How long did it actually take you to do just the dying process? I saw you said more than four hours but did that include washing and drying as well? Thanks!

Posted July 6, 2014 at 10:34 AM | Permalink

It includes all the dyeing & washing, but not the drying. It had to air dry for a while.

42. philippe
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 7:19 AM | Permalink

Hi Lizzie
    gtreat stuff!
    I’m planning to do the same, only me with 2 covers (1 convertible , 1 two seats both Karlstad)
    At the end it’s 13 kg (28.6 lbs)! and dry cleaning only of course, ahah
    That should be an experience.

How much weight was yours?
    I’m asking cause I’m not sure it can all entered iat once in the bathtub.

Thanx

Posted July 15, 2014 at 11:07 AM | Permalink

I don’t remember exactly how much ours ended up weighing, but I went on the Ikea site and it looks like it was around 18 to 19 lbs. for both of the covers combined (we did the love seat and chaise). That being said, I think 28.6 lbs would be too big for your bathtub. WELL, unless you have a big bathtub. We have one of those standard, tiny apartment ones.

43. philippe
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 3:47 AM | Permalink

I see, I’ll do it separately then.
    Or maybe I could rent a swiming pool.
    I’ll do it in a week, I’ll let you know how it goes.

44. Michele
    Posted September 23, 2014 at 1:45 PM | Permalink

Hello. How many ounces/pounds of the dye did you order/use?

Posted September 24, 2014 at 8:53 AM | Permalink

The dye amount all depends on what color you choose. If you look at the Dharma site, it tells you how much you need for each color.

45. Rita Kaye
    Posted September 24, 2014 at 8:22 AM | Permalink

Lizzie,
    Thanks for the tutorial. From the description, the Queen AnnE sounds like a wonderful place. I also do not have a washing machine for dyeing, and alas, I also have no bathtub. Do you think I would be able to use a plastic 55 gallon drum to dye my ektorp chair slipcover? I noticed in one of your comments a number around 40 gallons. I have rain barrels that I won’t need until next summer and I have no other large vats.

I would appreciate any opinions or suggestions on how to tub dye without a tub. Thanks.
    BTW great tutorial.

Posted September 24, 2014 at 8:56 AM | Permalink

Oh, the Queen AnnE. She’s the definition of clASS. I think a 55 gallon drum would work great! I actually think it would be better than a bathtub! You’d just have to make sure you had enough room to mix/stir it. But I think that’s safe for a chair. We used 40 gallons for both the chaise and loveseat. It’d totally go for it.

46. Sara
    Posted October 10, 2014 at 11:32 AM | Permalink

Wow! you are lucky! I used Rite Dye on my Ikea couch and chair covers, each piece took the color different. I dont know what to do now? Ive have all unmatched colors, its almost like the fabric makeup is different?? I dont know how that can be? anyone have any advice, Im out a couch and 2 chair covers, do I toss in some black in with the brown to get a different color, I cant afford $100 worth of dye to buy the more exspensive stuff, but tdont want to toss this stuff either. Id advise to not attempt this, unless you use the best dye you can afford, for me rite was in my price range, but it worked awful!

Posted October 10, 2014 at 11:50 AM | Permalink

I’m so sorry! I wish I knew how to help.

47. Sally
    Posted October 26, 2014 at 9:25 AM | Permalink

Wonderful job!
    I have pale yellow Pottery Barn twill covers. I was wondering of I could dye them tan? Does the old color come through? Should/could I bleach first?
    Thank you!

Posted October 27, 2014 at 9:36 AM | Permalink

Eesh. I’m not really sure. It might be better to bleach them, but it might cover fine. I wish I could be of more help.

48. Lyndsay Brown
    Posted November 12, 2014 at 11:32 AM | Permalink

which dye brand did you use? i want to dye a huge ikea sectional couch dark grey. i used RIT dye on our other ikea couch and it came out pretty nice. i used the washing machine method but i’m afraid that the large, main cover won’t get dyed evenly. Here is the link, if you’re curious to see what i’m working with: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50047590/#/80272742. i don’t have a scale so I don’t know how much dye to use (although I’m about to run out to the thrift store to snatch up a cheap one). anyway.. which dye should i use? the covers are 53 % linen, 47 % viscose/rayon. thank you!!!

Posted November 12, 2014 at 11:37 AM | Permalink

I used the fiber reactive dye from Dharma (the link is in the post). I highly recommend them as they have very detailed instructions on how to dye and what additional products you might opt to use.

49. Marina
    Posted November 19, 2014 at 12:07 PM | Permalink

Did you have much leftover dye? I have basically the same couch, but mine is the full size, rather than the love seat, so I’m wondering if I would be able to stick to your measurements or need to get more.

Posted November 19, 2014 at 2:00 PM | Permalink

I’m 99% sure that the amount of dye I needed was exactly 8 oz. which is the how much is in each dye container they sell.

Add Comment Register