Penny Wall…CHECK!

I honestly wasn’t sure this thing would ever get finished. Someone asked about it the other day which caused me to look back at the original post and I almost gasped when I saw it was from last May. GASPED! That’s not cool. Granted, it was a pretty big project. But it lit a fire under me which, to his chagrin, I lit under Ryan.

Here’s a before picture. Ryan put down some plywood so that we wouldn’t have to glue the pennies directly to the wall. We are renters, after all.

True to form, this is the only picture I have. Stupidly, I didn’t take any during pictures. Honestly, you guys, I SWEAR I did, but I cannot find them anywhere in my iPhoto library. Of course, I did have to wade through a LOT of Comic-Con pictures (thanks, Ryan). And, I’ll admit, probably 500 pictures of Ralph. He’s super cute. You’d totally understand if you knew him. ANYWAY, this is the only before picture I could find.

AND…after.

And here’s one of the reasons it took us so long:

They’re all heads up and faces forward! Well, as close to that as possible. Four score and seven years ago, INDEED! Plus, each one is glued separately. We started out using my trusty glue gun, but when it became Ryan’s turn (it got more difficult at the halfway point and I think he was afraid I’d somehow spaz out and fall from a step stool or something), he decided to just use Elmer’s glue. He said it worked just as well as (update:  he says BETTER than) the glue gun. I could have screamed since I had a few third degree burns (okay, just some reddened skin) from putting hot glue on every single penny. My delicate hands are ruined. My dream of being a hand model is now lost forever…

All in all, it was a little over $50 in pennies. Ryan’s grandma was nice enough to supply AT LEAST $20 worth. The rest we bought. Did you know that the bank “sells” $25 BOXES of pennies? Well, they do.

Side note – how do you like all of our fancy decanters? We started collecting them before we got married. And my new Liquor poster? Cool, right? My brother (from another mother) is making an awesome frame for it. I can’t wait!!

*UPDATE*

I just wanted you to all see the FINISHED finished product.  I kept forgetting to post new pix.  Actually, I took pictures a while ago, but then noticed that all the decanters were empty and…I didn’t want to look like an alcoholic.  But anyway, we had the liquor photograph framed, painted the trim grey and got a brass switchplate.  Ta-da!!

pennywall 3

Maybe I should have moved the printer…

Pin It
This entry was posted in DIY Projects and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

16 Comments

1. Theresa
    Posted February 6, 2012 at 11:59 AM | Permalink

I love it!

• Posted February 6, 2012 at 12:01 PM | Permalink

Me too! I can’t believe it’s finally done!!

2. Liz
    Posted February 6, 2012 at 12:04 PM | Permalink

I loVe!!!!! It :)

• Posted February 6, 2012 at 12:15 PM | Permalink

I’m seriously so proud of it that I could burst. BURST!

3. Gianna
    Posted February 6, 2012 at 2:59 PM | Permalink

When I first saw you were doing this, I had no idea how it would turn out & I may have been skeptical. But I have to say, IT LOOKS AWESOME!!!!!
    Between the wall and the decanters and the poster, not to mention your always gorgeous buffet, the whole section is fantastic! I LOVE it! Love it!!!

• Posted February 7, 2012 at 7:47 AM | Permalink

Thanks so much! I don’t know why I feel the need to reply to every comment, but I do…

4. peter
    Posted February 6, 2012 at 11:38 PM | Permalink

I’m speechless! (Wait I just said something. I’m cured!) Seriously -Sunset Magazine here you come….

• Posted February 7, 2012 at 7:43 AM | Permalink

GAH! That means so much coming from you! Thanks!!

• Gianna
        Posted February 7, 2012 at 12:50 PM | Permalink

What about coming from ME???

Shut up…

5. Posted February 27, 2012 at 7:42 PM | Permalink

so awesome. we’re planning on a bathroom floor with pennies, but i love the wall idea, too!

• Lizzie
      Posted February 27, 2012 at 7:59 PM | Permalink

Thanks! A floor of pennies…so awesome! I hope you’ll share some pictures!

6. Posted March 1, 2012 at 2:53 PM | Permalink

great job!! love it! and of course i pinned it….

7. DeeKay
    Posted July 7, 2012 at 5:04 PM | Permalink

Love, love, love this wall! Did you use a protective seal of any kind? Why didn’t you paint the plywood with copper paint? Just curious. Great job!

Add Comment Register